[tor-relays] Hardware sizing for physical exit node

Osservatorio Nessuno tor at osservatorionessuno.org
Tue Jul 9 22:32:04 UTC 2024

Hi everyone,
we are planning to get some hardware to run a physical Tor exit node,
starting with a 1Gbps dedicated, unmetered uplink (10Gbps downlink). We
will also route a /24 on it, so we will have large availability of
addresses to run multiple instances. We have been running a few exit
nodes so far, but never on our own hardware.

Which is the bandwith limit per core/Tore instance? Or what can we
expect to be the bottleneck?

Due to some other requirements we need for some experiments (SFP ports,
coreboot support, etc) we can mainly choose between these 2 CPUs:
	Intel i5-1235U
	Intel i7-1255U

The cost between the two models is significant enough in our case to
pick the i7 only if it's really useful.

In both cases with 32GB of DDR5 RAM (we can max to 64 if needed, but is
it?).

Should this allow us to saturate the uplink?

To summarize, with this bandwith, this hardware and a /24 how many Tor
exit nodes should be ideal to run considering that each of them could
have their own address?

Thanks!