[tor-relays] Recent Tor versions not reloading config on / ignoring HUP kill signal.

George Hartley hartley_george at proton.me
Sat Jan 13 17:29:39 UTC 2024

Hi,

I think this started with release 0.4.8.10, but both of my Tor relays no longer reload their config when doing for example:

-   systemctl reload tor at exit

Here is the relevant part of the unit file:

> [Unit]Description=Anonymizing overlay network for TCP
> After=syslog.target network.target nss-lookup.target
>

> [Service]
> Type=notify
> NotifyAccess=all
> ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/tor -f /etc/tor/torrc_%i --verify-config
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/tor -f /etc/tor/torrc_%i
> ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP ${MAINPID}
> KillSignal=SIGINT
> TimeoutSec=75
> Restart=on-failure
> WatchdogSec=1m
> LimitNOFILE=32768

Checking with:

-   journalctl -u tor at exit

Just tells me that systemd attempted and successfully executed the specified reload command, but the actual line from the Tor instance stating that the config has been reloaded is missing.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Regards,
George