[tor-relays] Metrics

gus gus at torproject.org
Wed Sep 6 19:27:16 UTC 2023

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 06, 2023 at 09:11:02PM +0200, telekobold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 06.09.23 09:25, gus wrote:
>
> > Have you tried to connect to your own bridge and see if it works?
> > Here is how you build your obfs4 bridge line (note: it's your bridge
> > fingerprint and not your hashed bridge fingerprint):
> > https://community.torproject.org/relay/setup/bridge/post-install/
>
> there seems to be a mismatch between the description linked above and the
> Tor browser UI to manually add a Tor bridge: If one starts the Tor browser,
> click on "Configure Tor connections" and then on "Add a Bridge Manually"
> (seems to be the only possibility to test your own Bridge directly in the
> Tor browser), there is only the option to provide the bridge's IP address
> and the obfs4 port, but not, as mentioned in the description linked above
> the fingerprint and the obfs4 certificate. When I try to add the fingerprint
> and the obfs4 certificate of my bridges, no connection is established.

Yes, there is a mismatch in Tor Browser UI. See these tickets:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40552

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/41913

> So, where is the advantage on additionally providing the fingerprint and the
> obfs4 certificate when connecting to Tor (I can imagine that it has
> something to do with authenticity)? And how can one do that using the Tor
> software respectively the Tor browser bundle?

If you add just IP:ORPort (**ORPort** and not the OBFS4 Port) you have a
"vanilla" Tor bridge: a bridge that doesn't obfuscate your Tor traffic.
So it may not work in countries/ISPs doing DPI.
To use your own obfs4 bridge, you need to build the "complete bridge line"[1].

cheers,
Gus
[1] https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/web/manual/-/issues/130
--