[tor-relays] MyFamily

trinity pointard trinity.pointard at gmail.com
Mon May 15 12:00:27 UTC 2023

> This has probably been addressed before but why isn't the MyFamily value just a single, unique ID?

There is a proposal to have some way of doing that in the future, but
that proposal isn't implemented
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/blob/main/proposals/321-happy-families.md
. It's not as easy as having a unique ID, you need to make sure a
relay can't spoof being part of a family, that's why it requires a two
way relationship for now, and will probably use some form of signature
in the future.

> What do you do when you have 50 relays and want to add or remove a relay? You must modify 50 torrc files and restart all 50 relays? That seems tedious and unnecessary.

Sadly, yes it is. You can reload the relays instead of restarting
them, which is somewhat better but still not great. On thing that can
help is using the %include feature of torrc to have your MyFamily line
in a distinct file you can easily copy around. That's not great, but
still easier/safer than editing a configuration file automatically.

regards,

trinity-1686a