[tor-relays] Confusing bridge signs...

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Sun Mar 12 22:39:15 UTC 2023

On Sonntag, 12. März 2023 04:45:21 CET Keifer Bly wrote:
> I do not use any scripts to start tor, I just type tor to start the process
> on debian.
That's where your problems begin. You start a 2nd tor process as root that
doesn't take the default configs from:
/usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc & /etc/tor/torrc

You have a systemd system & tor.service is activated by default. You don't
have to do anything, tor runs automatically after a reboot|server start.

The systemd services are controlled with the following commands:
systemctl start tor.service
systemctl stop tor.service
systemctl restart tor.service
systemctl reload tor.service
systemctl status tor.service

> And yes the datacenter I run in has an external firewall which
> requires setting up port forwarding.
Ok, anything in the customer interface for the datacenter router.

> The result of running ls -A /var/log/tor
>
> root at instance-1:/home/keifer_bly# ls -A /var/log/tor
> notices.log  notices.log.1  notices.log.2.gz  notices.log.3.gz
>  notices.log.4.gz  notices.log.5.gz
There are 6 log files of one of the tor processes. Both write to syslog.

> So it's creating separate .gz files for some reason. I don't know why that
> is or what to do from here. Thanks.
I wrote, learn what _logrotate_ does. Hint: without that, the hd fills up.
man logrotate