[tor-relays] Relay requirements

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Fri Mar 10 15:06:54 UTC 2023

On Dienstag, 7. März 2023 03:00:49 CET Sydney wrote:
> Newbie here. No network experience but already running 2 TOR instances: 1
> TOR service + 1 bridge.
Never mix different relay types under one IP.

> I would like to "upgrade" to TOR relays but have a few questions relating to
> hardware needs.

1core 2GB RAM is enough for an exit. This one:
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/D00795330D77C75344C54FB8800531FAB3C40FBE
1core, 2GB RAM, 10GB Network
You need bandwidth, _unlimited_ bandwidth. A relay easily has 50-100TB/month!
Tor relay (=router) bandwidth is in + out!

> I guess my fundamental question is what is the advantage of running multiple
> relays of the same type, on the same server?
Because C-tor is not multicore aware.

> I see some operators running
> dozens of them, all in the same country, same ISP. Why not just a single
> relay running with a large capacity?
see above (multicore) These are very powerful servers. Mostly their own, in colocation.
1x10G, 2x10G or more network connection, 64 or 128 CPU cores 256-512 GB RAM and _unlimited_ bandwidth.
In addition usually their own ASN. To advertise an AS via BGP, at least a /24 (255 IP's) is required.

That's why I keep asking when we'll finally be able to run IPv6 only relays.
/24 IP + ASN approx. 5000 EUR/(1st)year. (Only via waiting list & if never received an IPv4 allocation)
/48 IPv6 + ASN approx. 100 Eur/year.

https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/ipv4/ipv4-waiting-list

> Also, is there a requirement for the
> number of relays per core? (Maybe this is the answer to my question.) I
> know my bridge is currently keeping one core of my 2-core server constantly
> under load. Thank in advance.
Rule of thumb - one instance per core.

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!