[tor-relays] Open call for proposals for improving the health of the Tor relay operator community and the Tor network

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Fri Mar 3 22:26:07 UTC 2023

I've got some practical experience with how things are (not) handled
by the Tor Project in this space which discourages involvement.
The past has also shown that proposals in this area are not
handled as tor proposals in the sense of [1].

> We're not in the process of approving any of them.

a few questions:

- Can you describe the process these proposals will undergo after they got collected?
- Who "approves" / rejects them?
- Will it be a public and transparent process?
- Who will be involved in the process?
- How are relay operators included and to what extend?

- Will "approved" proposals be enforced?
- How will they get enforced? New tor release or directory authority vote?
- Will directory authorities be formally required to enforce "approved" proposals?

> how to make it more difficult for attackers to run relays while
> keeping it easy for good contributors to join our network.

Will there be a longer problem statement and a
description of your threat model?

> adopted by a meaningful fraction of the Tor community (e.g.
> providing valid contact information).

Can you elaborate on how you define "valid" in this context?

kind regards,
nusenu

[1]
https://blog.torproject.org/tor-design-proposals-how-we-make-changes-our-protocol/