[tor-relays] Comcast blocks ALL traffic with tor relays

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Mon Jun 12 18:49:09 UTC 2023

On Sonntag, 11. Juni 2023 13:46:06 CEST xmrk2 via tor-relays wrote:

> Background: I am running a lightning node, lightning is a layer 2 protocol
> to scale Bitcoin. Lightning nodes need to be connected to each other
> ideally 24/7. I was contacted by the operator of another Lightning node,
> complaining that he cannot connect to my node. He is Comcast customer, I am
> not. I was also running a tor relay on the same public IPv4 address.
>

> Any ideas on how to combat this?
It might help to configure Lightning node as a hidden service.
I offer my Monero and Bitcoin RPC & P2P ports as a hidden service.

And have additionally SocksPort flag 'OnionTrafficOnly' on the client and hidden
service side.
SocksPort 9050 OnionTrafficOnly
# Tell the tor client to only connect to .onion addresses in response to
SOCKS5 requests on this connection.
# This is equivalent to NoDNSRequest, NoIPv4Traffic, NoIPv6Traffic.

> I was thinking about including some false positives in tor relay list.
I wouldn't do that. I think you'll end up on the bad-relay list in no time.
I would rather write to the Comcast network admins first. Give them good
examples. E.g. in Germany the ISP's support Tor (NetCologne, Deutsche Telekom,
...)

Mirror:
https://torproject.netcologne.de/dist/
Our Traffic sponsors:
https://www.community-ix.net/sponsors/

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!