[tor-relays] Comcast blocks ALL traffic with tor relays

sysop at openinternet.io sysop at openinternet.io
Mon Jun 12 17:06:20 UTC 2023

FWIW I haven't ever experienced any issues using Tor on multiple Comcast
residential and business lines.

I use Tor as a client daily from a Comcast residential connection and
have never been unable to connect to directories or relays.

I also have a directory client running 24/7 on Comcast business and it
hasn't had any Tor-related connectivity issues over the last 6+ years.

I just spun up a new /relay/ on a Comcast residential connection and
have no issues talking to other relays and I've confirmed the ORPort is
reachable from multiple other AS's in the US and abroad.

  │ 09:11:35 [NOTICE] Self-testing indicates your ORPort
98.45.218.223:9001 is reachable from the outside. Excellent. Publishing
server descriptor.
  │
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/42BD1CC75EA01755D1F7DC8205C9ED9B19C7DC96

If anyone wants to test reachability to this Comcast relay, I'll leave
it up for the next 48 hours or so.

I'm not necessarily a fan of Comcast or any of their practices and am
only speaking for myself here but I haven't ever experienced any
blocking or difficulty.

Are you sure that port forwarding To your relay is reliably working and
that some "security feature" in your Comcast modem/router isn't causing
the problem? I haven't researched any reports of Comcast blocking so I
can't speak to any other anecdotal reports of said blocking. I sure hope
it isn't the case. If it is, I'll certainly drop them in a flash too.

Regards,

Drew