[tor-relays] Help Turkmens to bypass Internet censorship: run an obfs4 bridge!

gus gus at torproject.org
Sat Jul 22 15:12:17 UTC 2023

Hi,

Great question. First, it is important to highlight that sometimes
censorship is not implemented uniformly across all ISPs in a country.
For example, see Tor Metrics in Russia:
- https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html?start=2023-04-23&end=2023-07-22&country=ru&events=off
- https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-combined.html?start=2023-04-23&end=2023-07-22&country=ru

And sometimes you'll find some interesting metrics anomalies, e.g., in
China:
- Vanilla Tor connections spikes:
  https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html?start=2023-04-23&end=2023-07-22&country=cn&events=off
- Bridge users:
  https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-combined.html?start=2023-04-23&end=2023-07-22&country=cn

Second, in Turkmenistan case, it appears that one ISP (AGTS) had different
censorship rules compared to their main ISP, Turkmentelecom. As a result,
AGTS clients were able to use tools like tor-relay-scanner[1] to find
unblocked Tor relays and use them as Tor "vanilla OR bridges" to bypass
the block.

But, this workaround was blocked in AGTS/Turkmenistan last week and it
is no longer effective.

Gus

[1] https://github.com/ValdikSS/tor-relay-scanner