[tor-relays] Invitation to Participate in Tor Update Survey - University of Edinburgh Research Project

Meitong Wang M.Wang-118 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jul 5 18:21:30 UTC 2023

Dear Relay Operators,

My name is Meitong, and I am a Master's student at the University of Edinburgh, currently being supervised by Tariq Elahi. I am working on a project to understand Tor Relay Operators and further improve Tor security.

I am writing to invite you to participate in a survey as part of a research project conducted by the University of Edinburgh. The purpose of this survey is to gather valuable insights and feedback from relay operators regarding the Tor network's update process. The overall goal of this survey is to understand the experiences, challenges, and perspectives of relay operators when it comes to Tor relay updates. Your input will contribute to improving the update design and addressing any issues that may arise.

I want to assure you that your participation in this survey is completely anonymous. Your responses will be treated with strict confidentiality and will only be used for research purposes.

To access the survey, please click on the following link: https://cryptpad.fr/form/#/2/form/view/dvbbDORTjeztLzosbOuGVaRheI-FBjFh6xPQmT79cak/

The survey will be open until July 23, 2023. Your participation is highly appreciated and will be valuable in shaping the future updates of Tor.

Please note that this study has been approved by the UoE Informatics Research Ethics Process, with the project reference number: 775342.

To provide you with more information about the survey and its purpose, I have attached the Participant Information Form. This document explains the study's background, procedures, and your rights as a participant. I kindly request that you review it before deciding whether to participate.

If you have any questions or concerns about the survey or the research project, please feel free to reach out to me. I would be more than happy to provide further clarification.

Thank you in advance for your time and valuable contribution. We eagerly await your response!

Best regards,

Meitong Wang & Tariq Elahi

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336. Is e buidheann carthannais a th' ann an Oilthigh Dh?n ?ideann, cl?raichte an Alba, ?ireamh cl?raidh SC005336.