[tor-relays] Question regarding bandwidth ratio on bridges.torproject.org and a few further, small, (probably related) questions

telekobold torproject-ml at telekobold.de
Wed Jul 5 15:56:35 UTC 2023

Hello together,

I'm operating two Tor bridges. When calling bridges.torproject.org, for
one of the bridges (set up in March, 2023), there are three outputs:
- obfs4: functional
- a bandwidth ratio
- a "last tested" entry.
But for my second bridge (set up at the beginning of June 2023),
bridges.torproject.org does not output a bandwidth ratio.

What does this missing bandwidth ratio output mean, since everything
else seems to be normal? When starting nyx on the relays, I see
connections there (even more on the bridge with the missing bandwidth
ratio output), I can connect to both bridges using the Bridge's IP
addresses and ORPorts via Tor browser, and metrics.torproject.org also
outputs an advertised bandwidth, which is even much higher (4.87 MiB/s
at the moment) than for my other bridge (1.43MiB/s at the momemt) for
which bridges.torproject.org outputs a bandwidth ratio.

The bridges run on virtual servers at the same hoster, but in two
different countries. Nothing else runs on these virtual servers.

I am honestly not quite sure to what extent the fingerprint of the
bridge is information worth protecting, or whether only the port and IP
address need to be protected.

By the way, I also don't understand why my two bridges don't have a
higher advertised bandwidth - currently, it's 4.87MiB/s for one and
1.43MiB/s for the other relay. I never got the fast flag for either
bridge yet, in contrast to my two "normal" relays. On both servers, at
least 1.6GiB/s is available, and a monthly data throughput of several
terabytes.

As a further issue, nyx doesn't output (in constrast to my two other
relays) - not sure if this is a known issue.

And, as a last issue, I didn't specify a distribution mechanism for my
bridge, in the hope that the most suitable mechanism will be selected
automatically. Initially, for one of my bridges (the one for which
bridges.torproject.org outputs a bandwidth ratio) the bridge was
assigned distribution mechanism "Moat". But suddenly, "None" is
displayed under distribution mechanisms at metrics.torproject.org, which
means that apparently the bridge is no longer distributed. What could be
the reason that the distribution mechanism suddenly changed?

Kind regards
telekobold