[tor-relays] Confusing bridge signs...

trinity pointard trinity.pointard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 22:22:18 UTC 2023

Hi,

Your torrc is correct wrt to distribution mechanism (your bridge is
indicating "bridge-distribution-request any" in the descriptor it
sends), but for the record, the line would have been
"BridgeDistribution any".
A bridge uses less bandwidth than a relay, but it's still a proxy. At
5GB per month, you'd be providing a steady 16kbps over the month, or a
single mbps for little over 11 hours. That's very little, if you can't
have more bandwidth (by using a provider with no bandwidth accounting,
or one that gives better pricing per bandwidth), I fear your bridge
won't be very useful at all. Mine consumes between a few hundred GB
and a few TB depending on the distribution mechanism.

Are you sure your bridge is reachable? Bridgestrap reports suggest it isn't.
As the bridge operator, you should know its bridge line. Can you test
it with Tor Browser to make sure?
Given your accounting limits, it could be unreachable because
currently hibernating. Or you could have a firewall issue, or
something else.
I believe not passing bridgestrap can explain not being assigned a
distribution mechanism.

It might also explain why it would be considered blocked in Russia: if
it's not reachable from anywhere, it's not reachable from Russia. An
other possibility, given you use 443 for your ORPort, is that your
bridge was indeed detected by just scanning the whole internet. The
ORPort is very recognizable (enough that some of my former bridges
ended up tagged "tor" on Shodan) so it should be put on a port that's
less likely to be scanned.

Regards,
trinity-1686a