[tor-relays] Use OutboundBindAddress on multi-instance tor servers

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Mon Feb 13 09:39:54 UTC 2023

On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 11:16:33 +0100
Felix <zwiebel at quantentunnel.de> wrote:

> Am Wed, 8 Feb 2023 00:08:39 +0100
> schrieb nusenu <nusenu-lists at riseup.net>:
>
> Hi
>
> > multi-instance tor relay
> Can you please describe what that is? Is it a server with multiple
> relays, each with it's own fingerprint? Or is it a relay with one
> fingerprint and with multiple tor daemons that are synced by some magic?

Seeing how the git repo mentions MyFamily management, I believe it's just #1 in
this case.

I remember reading someone describe their setup of #2, with a TCP load
balancer in front of multiple Tor instances all using the same fingerprint.
Outright my reaction was that this is fundamentally broken and cannot work,
but apparently it does. Still, IMO that's easy to get wrong and unknowingly
degrade the network quality for Tor users.

--
With respect,
Roman