[tor-relays] Questions about 4 Relays per IP and the ddos mitigation scripts

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Tue Feb 7 23:31:31 UTC 2023

On Wed, Feb 08, 2023 at 12:07:22AM +0100, nusenu wrote:
> I recall a gitlab.tpo issue that discussed the details of whether
> tor clients should change guards when their picked guard lost/gained flags.
> Maybe someone else could paste a link to it.

This might be the one you want:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/issues/141

It has quite the complicated story, and I think our current behavior
("move to the next guard in the list if our current guard doesn't have
the Guard flag") is good for performance but bad for security, but it's
a complicated enough analysis that reasonable people can disagree.

--Roger