[tor-relays] Use OutboundBindAddress on multi-instance tor servers

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Tue Feb 7 23:08:39 UTC 2023

Hi,

to reduce the risk that your multi-instance tor relay setup triggers
false-positive filter thresholds on other relays, I recommend you make use of the
OutboundBindAddress (or OutboundBindAddressOR)
option and set it to the same IP as in the ORPort line.

This will ensure that the outbound source IP will be the same when connecting to relays.
The man page is not clear what tor's default without that setting is
but I guess that would leave it to the OS to pick the source IP and
that could result in all your tor's using the same source IP.

relayor users are covered by default, no further action required.
https://github.com/nusenu/ansible-relayor/blob/2bc62d62f85b62c51a38d9caa893ab0fadbfff01/templates/torrc#L7

kind regards,
nusenu
--