[tor-relays] Questions about 4 Relays per IP and the ddos mitigation scripts

Chris Enkidu-6 tor at wcbsecurity.com
Sun Feb 5 14:40:29 UTC 2023

Hello Everyone,

Before I make changes to [my
scripts](https://github.com/Enkidu-6/tor-ddos), I need to understand a
few things and any help is much appreciated.

- First, Does an Exit relay with zero Guard probability and zero middle
relay probability need to initiate circuits with a Guard or middle relay
and assuming it fails, would that affect my relay, relaying traffic to
that Exit node as a part of my own circuit? To clarify the question, I
have 2 Established connections to two Or Ports of an exit relay, the
relay has no connections to me, Does that break anything?

- I have a few Exit relays as permanent residents in my block list, not
because I want them to be there but because, no matter how many times I
remove them, day or night, they'll be back in seconds for making too
many concurrent attempts. I'm assuming this is due to the fact that
Exits are being used to attack other relays but I may be wrong which is
why I need someone to clarify this for me and hence another reason for
question one.

- Each relay has Established connections to many other relays and if
they're guard they will also have many connections to regular users and
their Tor browsers until they have enough traffic to reach their
MaxAdvertisedBandwidth. Obviously we don't Establish connections to all
6300 relays out there. So if we do not allow each IP more than two
connections and they need 4, They'll have two from us and they'll move
on to another relay and get the other two and get the job done and we
will reach our Max Bandwidth anyway by accepting traffic from other
relays. Diversity of relays as opposed to concentration of some relays.
Am I correct in my assumption that this will have little to no effect on
the health of the Tor network as a whole?

Thanks for reading, I'm not going to make this longer than it is already.