[tor-relays] Relay data limit

George Hartley hartley_george at proton.me
Thu Dec 21 14:04:58 UTC 2023

Hi Dan,

>1 - Is it better for the network if the relay is active 24/7, even if sometimes it's much slower?

Generally according to the relay requirements a relay is considered useful if it can at least route 2MB/s or 16 MBit/s steadily.

However, I think you should get away with 1MB/s or 8 MBit/s.

> 2 - Will it negatively affect my relay's reputation if sometimes it's very slow?

The Tor authorities might reduce your middle probability, but you will not be punished in any way, and as soon as automatic bandwidth measurements confirm that you have more capacity available,

the authorities should start directing more traffic to your relay.

Some possible other ideas:

Rate-limit traffic to your relay using RelayBandwidthRate and RelayBandwidthBurst, but with only 5TB of monthly traffic you will end up rate-limiting it to somewhere in the 1,8 to 2MB/s range to not hit your traffic cap.

Or, just ask the provider for more bandwidth per month, generally now in 2023 it's pretty damn cheap.

All the best,
George