[tor-relays] Wrong "first seen" flag for bridges at metrics.torproject.org

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed Aug 23 15:16:30 UTC 2023

Hi!

telekobold:
> Hi together,
>
> I have an issue regarding the "first seen" flag at
> metrics.torproject.org: It is definitely wrong for my two bridges - both
> dates are much too close in the past.
>
> For one of the bridges, it seems to correspond to the last signing key
> renewal, for the other bridge, it seems to correspond to the penultimate
> signing key renewal.
>
> Has anyone observed similar behavior for its relay? (I found it
> meaningful to first ask here before creating an issue at [*]).
>
> [*] https://gitlab.torproject.org/hiro/onionoo/-/issues

I think what you see is described in onionoo#40018[1] (even though your
`last_restart` date is not older than your `first_seen` one atm): we
essentially have a bug how we set `first_seen` for bridges. Or maybe
even more than one (which would explain why that date of both of your
bridges is different right now).

While we have a good way of reproducing the issue by now (I spent quite
some time on that) nobody has come up with a fix for it yet, alas. :(

Georg

[1]
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/network-health/metrics/onionoo/-/issues/40018