[tor-relays] Running an exit relay in Italy

Eldalië eldalie at disroot.org
Wed Aug 16 21:45:59 UTC 2023

Hello there and thanks everyone for your answers to my message about middle
relay blocking. Reading them I feel trying to solve the blacklisting of my IP
would be overkilling.
Since I have a chance to get a cheap VPS, I will try to migrate the relay on
it. And since the relay would be on a dedicated IP, I'm thinking about
making it an exit. Of course I must consider the law, and I'd like to read some
references and listen about experiences from other operators before seeking
professional (expensive, I guess) legal advice.
My concerns are the following, but I would appreciate any other thoughts as
well. The relay would be in Italy so Italian and EU laws apply.
1. Would I bear any responsibility for the use of the relay? I'm aware of
   the "mere conduit" concept (that is applied in the EU too) but Italy may
   have some crappy additional law I'm not aware of.
2. Would I be subject to any data retention or data monitoring obligation?
3. Would I be subject to any user identification obligation?
4. Would I risk the police knocking on my door even if the relay runs on a
   datacenter and not on my home network?
Thanks,

Eldalië

--
Eldalië
My private key is attached. Please, use it and provide me yours!