[tor-relays] Middle relay IP blocking

securehell at gmail.com securehell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 23:46:51 UTC 2023

I tried reporting a similar issue a few months ago (post wasn’t approved by moderator). I was running a relay from my home ISP. After a short while certain websites became inaccessible from other computers in my home network that shared the same public IP. After trial and error with other IP addresses (non-Tor) I realized commercial gateway services had blacklisted our IP address.

After several weeks of running a Relay I shut it down and after a few days we could access the websites again from our IP.

The ISP didn’t understand when I reported it and just wanted to upsell me a business plan.

Live and learn. The Tor network was the victim. You are correct that by publishing entry, relay and exit node IP addresses for the Tor network, it’s an easy target for commercial services to indiscriminately blacklist any IP addresses associated with Tor. Sharing your IP with a relay and your personal use might get you blocked.

I hope this post gets approved.