[tor-relays] Most useful bridge distribution

meskio meskio at torproject.org
Wed Oct 12 12:38:55 UTC 2022

Quoting Thoughts (2022-10-11 18:06:55)
> Running a bridge, and per some stats I saw earlier Moat seems to be the most
> popular distribution method.
>
> Just curious is something else is recommended?

Is better if bridges are left for rdsys/BridgeDB to decide where are more useful
and don't have a distribution mechanism configured on them. As in rdsys we make
decisions on what distributors needs more bridges and assign them depending on
needs.

It used to be that moat was the distributor where more bridges are needed, as it
was the most used distribution mechanism. But since some time settings is being
as much and maybe more used than moat as settings is being used automatically by
Tor Browser without the user needing to configure the bridges manually. But
Telegram bridges are also being used a lot in some countries, like Russia.

> Some seem less secure than others, but I don't know the methods used to
> prevent abuse.

Do you mean what distribution mechanisms are harder for the censors to find out
all the bridges?

We are still experimenting with this and not sure. It looks like censors are
pretty good at finding moat bridges, they will put more resources in finding
them as many users use them. While email bridges are not so much blocked.

We believe settings are telegram are harder to discover for censors, but it
might be that censors hasn't catch up with them yet. This is a continuous
experimentation.

--
meskio | https://meskio.net/