[tor-relays] actively maintaining 'recommended versions' list (was: Tor 0.4.6.x is unsupported, please upgrade)

Scott Bennett bennett at sdf.org
Sun Oct 9 09:02:35 UTC 2022

Roger Dingledine <arma at torproject.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 08, 2022 at 02:54:41PM +0200, nusenu wrote:
> > dir auths still recommend running tor 0.4.6.x versions today, so relay operators never got any indicator
> > on RS or in their logs - this is a missed opportunity.
>
> Good catch -- I've just started the process of getting the directory
> authorities to un-recommend the 0.4.6 versions.
>
> And you're right that it is a missed opportunity for those fingerprints
> that started the process of getting bumped out a few days ago.
>
> But (a) new relays that show up on 0.4.6, i.e. that don't have
> fingerprints that are in the reject list, will see the warning about
> versions,
>
> and (b) I'm going to hold off on applying the big set of 0.4.6 reject
> lines on moria1, so now moria1 should be issuing a warning about versions,
> rather than a warning about a rejected fingerprint, to affected relays.

     It seems worth pointing out that one directory authority was reporting
some hours ago that it was running 0.4.7.9, which also is not in the lists
of client-versions or server-versions announced in the hourly consensus
files.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *