[tor-relays] Tor 0.4.6.x is unsupported, please upgrade

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri Oct 7 07:28:04 UTC 2022

Georg Koppen:
> Hello!
>
> To repeat what recently[1] got brought up: it's time to get relays
> upgraded in case they are running the EOL 0.4.6.x Tor series. We'll
> start reaching out to operators with valid contact information this week
> and plan to reject relays which are still on 0.4.6.x in about 5 weeks
> from now on at the end of September. You can follow along that process
> in our bug tracker[2] if you want.

I just pushed a commit to get 459 relays still being on 0.4.6.x
rejected. This will take effect once a majority of directory authorities
has picked up that change (likely in the coming hours).

We refrained from doing the same for bridges, though, given the current
high demand particularly in Russia and Iran. However, we'll closely
monitor the situation and will follow up with the removal of 0.4.6.x
running bridges as soon as we think it is acceptable, taking security
and censorship circumvention concerns into account.

Thanks,
Georg