[tor-relays] Thoughts about potentially abusive config option for exit nodes

abuse-node49 at posteo.de abuse-node49 at posteo.de
Mon Oct 3 12:48:54 UTC 2022

I did not manage to find anywhere on the new website the current config
options of the torrc. So I ask the question here, although it may be
already outdated.

This is the third time I have had contact with the police about Exits
Relays. That's why it occurred to me that someone might be acting
targeted, because I run more than one node.
Looking for configurations that allow dedicated IP addresses, I found
the torrc-config option 'StrictNodes 1' in conjunction with 'ExitNodes
[IP/Nickname/Key]' on the web. There were also hints that something had
been changed before, but I tried it on a local installation. The goal
was to use a specific exit address.

StrictNodes 1
ExitNodes [MY_EXIT_NODE_IP]

First I had a typo and the Tor service did not start. After the
correction it worked and I got into the network. The conclusion remained
that Tor accepts these configuration lines.

The problem with this is, should this config line really allow a
dedicated exit as the sole exit point into the network, the operator of
that exit could be targeted and harmed with illegal traffic. In Metrics
it is easy to show whole Tor families that always belong to a single
operator.

It would be nice if the developers remove the possibility to specify a
dedicated IP address/nickname/key, if not already done.
The config option 'Exitnodes {COUNTRY_CODE}' should remain though.

Kind regards,
Olaf