[tor-relays] Loss of Guard and HS Dir flags

Scott Bennett bennett at sdf.org
Sun May 29 09:34:56 UTC 2022

Eddie <stunnel at attglobal.net> wrote:

> Necro alert !!
>
> Again, the same server has exhibited the same thing.? It has lost the
> Guard, HS Dir, and Long-Lived (Stable) flags, despite being up for
> almost 5 months with no reduction in Bandwidth.
>
> Cheers.
>

> On 10/18/2021 9:42 PM, Eddie wrote:
> > On 10/18/2021 1:03 AM, Georg Koppen wrote:
> >> Eddie:

> >> You mean the Stable flag? Seems to be back now at least. I've filed a
> >> ticket[1], though, to look a bit closer at what is going on but am not
> >> sure how fast we get to that (help is welcomed!).
> > And the Stable flag has gone again.
> >> Maybe. :)

     Yes, there definitely is, as I have been pointing out repeatedly on this
list over the last several years.  The Authority servers *used* to deal out
these flags rationally and consistently before that time.  Since then they
have acted capriciously w.r.t. to those flags.  BTW, you omitted the Fast
flag, which has also been subject to such mishandling.

> >> Georg
> >>
> >> [1] https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/network-health/team/-/issues/128

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *