[tor-relays] Relay migration: best practices?

tor at nullvoid.me tor at nullvoid.me
Sat May 28 21:42:52 UTC 2022

Hello,

I operate a small family of relays, over the 5 years it's been very set
and forget and easy to maintain.
Over those 5 years the servers have been cluttered with other half
completed projects and general mess.

I plan on reinstalling the OS from scratch, and understand I must backup
the "keys/ed25519_master_id_secret_key" and "keys/secret_id_key" in the
DataDirectory. Then copy them over on the new server.

The hostname will change but the IP will stay the same. The server I am
working on is not listed as a fallback directory server, but has been in
the past.

Is there any other things I can do to disrupt the damage done to the tor
network during this downtime? Especially to any clients using it as a
bridge.

Thanks,