[tor-relays] SPOOFED: Re: Ext Relay Operators: Please Upgrade to 0.4.7.7!

Ladar Levison ladar at lavabit.com
Fri May 20 16:09:15 UTC 2022

On 5/20/22 8:06 AM, Kushal Das wrote:
> EPEL generally never updates anything major, and I think in this case
> they counted it as a major update. More details can be found at [0].
>
> [0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL_Updates_Policy

You are correct, in that they don't like to replace a version package to
get trivial updates or new features. BUT for critical issues, they
either backport the requisite fix/feature/code, or if that isn't
feasible, update the package. And if using 0.4.5.11 means those relays
will get booted from the network, it would seem to qualify as important.

I don't know about EPEL, but Red Hat, if it's possible, likes to release
major package update along with an OS point release. For example, a
number of packages got major upgrades along with the 8.5 to 8.6 release
on May 10th.

I don't have any inside info, which is why I asked the list. But I think
that when it comes to EPEL packages, the community maintainer makes
these kinds of decisions. And Mister Perry did a good job of making the
update sound important. So I was wondering if a) anyone was in touch
with maintainer, or he was on this list, and could tell us when an
update would arrive, etc?

L~