[tor-relays] Ext Relay Operators: Please Upgrade to 0.4.7.7!

Ladar Levison ladar at lavabit.com
Tue May 10 14:55:57 UTC 2022

On 5/4/22 4:31 PM, Mike Perry wrote:
> Tor 0.4.7.7-stable contains a very important performance improvement,
> called Congestion Control.
> We have packages in available for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS, and
> BSD:
>   - Debian: https://support.torproject.org/apt/tor-deb-repo/
>   - Ubuntu: https://support.torproject.org/relay-operators/operators-4/
>   - Fedora/CentOS: https://support.torproject.org/rpm/tor-rpm-install/
>   - BSD:
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2022-May/020528.html

Anyone know when the EPEL TOR packages will updated? The EL 8 repos only
offer 0.4.5.11. EL 9 is only a little newer with RPMs for TOR 0.4.6.8.
Fedora 35 and 36 (with the latter launching today) have only been
updated to 0.4.6.9. As of now, it appears that only Fedora 37 has been
updated to 0.4.7.7.

Yes, I know, there is a 0.4.7.7 RPM for EL 8 inside the TOR repo, but
I'm wondering if anyone knows when the Fedora/EPEL repos will be
updated? Anu more importantly why they haven't been updated already?
When I compared the packages from EPEL and TOR a couple of years ago
(both offered the sane TOR release at that point) I discovered the TOR
package was built differently - assuming thta is still the case, it
means the RPMs aren't interchangeable for someone with a torrc file that
has evolved beyond the default.

Fedora repo for the TOR package:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/tor

Drect download Link for the TOR repo RPM in case anyone wants it:

https://rpm.torproject.org/centos/8/x86_64/tor-0.4.7.7-1.el8.x86_64.rpm

L~