[tor-relays] Debian is not allowing tor to update despite it being listed as a trusted respritory

ben ben at bentasker.co.uk
Mon May 9 07:40:12 UTC 2022

Did the final curl complain about an expired certificate?

    curl https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/

If so, that might indicate you've got OpenSSL 1.0, try

    openssl version

If that's the case, then really you need to get that (and/or the underlying OS) updated.

In the short term, we can address this by commenting out the expired root in your trust store.

    sudo -s

    cp /etc/ca-certificates.conf ~/ca-certificates.conf.bkup

    sed -i '/^mozilla\/DST_Root_CA_X3.crt$/ s/^/!/' /etc/ca-certificates.conf

    update-ca-certificates

Then try the curl again

    curl https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/

It should no longer complain about the certificate having expired. If it now complains that the certificate isn't trusted, then the X1 cert isn't properly installed and we'll have to look at that.

--
Ben Tasker
https://www.bentasker.co.uk

---- On Sun, 08 May 2022 15:49:18 +0100 Keifer Bly <keifer.bly at gmail.com> wrote ----

I have done all these and it still happens. Is there perhaps a tool that will set this up? Thanks.

--Keifer