[tor-relays] Debian is not allowing tor to update despite it being listed as a trusted respritory

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Thu May 5 11:59:01 UTC 2022

On Thursday, May 5, 2022 2:29:30 AM CEST Keifer Bly wrote:
> Ok. I have tried different things. And the same is still happening:
>
> sources.list file:
>
> ## Note, this file is written by cloud-init on first boot of an instance
> ## modifications made here will not survive a re-bundle.
> ## if you wish to make changes you can:

> ## c.) make changes to template file
> /etc/cloud/templates/sources.list.debian.tmpl

OK, you must look in '/etc/apt/sources.list' and in
'/etc/cloud/templates/sources.list.debian.tmpl' and delete or comment out the
below mentioned 4 lines:

> # See
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.html
> # for how to upgrade to newer versions of the distribution.
Ignore the upgrade notice and i386. You can use buster until the end of 2022
and I'm pretty sure google cloud is amd64.

> deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster main
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian buster main
>
> ## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
> ## distribution.
> deb http://security.debian.org/ buster/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ buster/updates main

You can|must delete these 3 lines...
> deb [trusted=yes] http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org buster main
> deb http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org buster main
> deb-src [trusted=yes] http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org buster main

> ## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
> ## repository.
> ##
> ## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
> ## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
> ## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
> deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports main
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports main
... and this old one from debian stretch:
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stretch main

> tor.list file:
>
> deb     [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg]
> https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org amd64 main
> deb-src [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg]
> https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org amd64 main
> deb     [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg]
> https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org <buster> main
> deb-src [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg]
> https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org <buster> main
> deb     [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg]
> https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org buster main
> deb-src [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg]
> https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org buster main
> deb     [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg]
> https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org tor-nightly-main-<buster> main
> deb-src [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg]
> https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org tor-nightly-main-<buster> main
> deb     [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg]
> https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org tor-nightly-main-buster main
> deb-src [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg]
> https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org tor-nightly-main-buster main
>
> Please, what should the sources.list and tor.list files look like? I am
> sorry to ask. Thanks.

In '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/tor.list' just this one line:

deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg] https://
deb.torproject.org/torproject.org buster main

Generally 'deb-src' are the package sources if you want to compile packages
yourself. You don't need that. Not for Tor and not for Debian either. But it
doesn't matter if you leave them, it occupies a few MB more in /var/cache/apt/
archives/

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!