[tor-relays] Ext Relay Operators: Please Upgrade to 0.4.7.7!

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Thu May 5 06:04:30 UTC 2022

lists at for-privacy.net:
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 11:31:05 PM CEST Mike Perry wrote:
>> Tor 0.4.7.7-stable contains a very important performance improvement,
>> called Congestion Control.
>>
>> You can read more about this improvement here:
>> https://blog.torproject.org/congestion-contrl-047/
>>
>> The TL;DR is that users of Tor 0.4.7 will experience faster performance
>> when using Exits or Onion Services that have upgraded to 0.4.7.
>
> Is that why the advertised bandwidth jumps well over 100 MB for some relays?

Yes, we believe that's caused by the congestion control arriving in
0.4.7. You see as well a general jump in advertised bandwidth:

https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth.html?start=2022-02-04&end=2022-05-02

That's similar to the flooding experiments we did earlier last year,
which you might recall, and is expected.

> On April 25, for some, it went up steeply. Some have even overtaken XOR, the
> fastest exit so far. Or is a bwauth on steroid?

Nope. No bwauth on steroids. :)

Georg