[tor-relays] Tor Exit: Complaints of IP being used for "spam" despite exit policy

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Wed May 4 12:31:57 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 8:42:20 PM CEST Neel Chauhan wrote:

> A day or two ago, my Tor exit host, Psychz Networks, has sent me
> complaints about my IPs being used to send "spam" despite me having
> blocked Port 25 (and 465/587) in the exit policy.
>
> Psychz threatened to block Port 25 even when my exit policy explicitly
> blocks 25/465/587.

Yes, unfortunately you get this SPAM abuse, although it is clear that the mail
was submitted via a webmailer :-(

> Sometimes I think "is my FreeBSD exploited and being used to send spam",
> but then I also see Linux relays on other ISPs also on the blocklists.

It's actually very unlikely that a longer running exit can send mails. ;-)
I can't even send myself log mails from my exit IP's because all IP's are
blacklisted. On abusix.com and similar.

> Yes, I am aware Tor exit relays will land on blacklists. But getting
> complaints from spam is new, especially when my relays are blocking
> SMTP.
>
> I am worried I would have to find a new host if they continue
> complaining. Darn, Psychz has been one of the more reliable exit hosts
> (on-and-off) for many years, although they are more vigilant on abuse
> than say BuyVM.

If possible, try to get an ARIN SWIP record:
https://blog.torproject.org/tips-running-exit-node/
5. Get ARIN registration

99% of the abuse is f*cking auto-generated stuff from tools like fail2ban. If
you reply, you will not get an answer or 'message is undeliverable' back.

https://rdp.sh/ is not overcrowded yet.

> I just hope Psychz doesn't continue to complain.

We all hope with you.
As I've mentioned here before, IPv6 only relays are important. An AS with
IPv6/48 is affordable. Then it's much easier to set up your own bulletproof
ISP.

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!