[tor-relays] Tor Exit: Complaints of IP being used for "spam" despite exit policy

Neel Chauhan neel at neelc.org
Tue May 3 18:42:20 UTC 2022

Hi,

A day or two ago, my Tor exit host, Psychz Networks, has sent me
complaints about my IPs being used to send "spam" despite me having
blocked Port 25 (and 465/587) in the exit policy.

Psychz threatened to block Port 25 even when my exit policy explicitly
blocks 25/465/587.

The URLs I got were from Cisco Talos:

  *
https://talosintelligence.com/reputation_center/lookup?search=104.149.136.246#email-history
  *
https://talosintelligence.com/reputation_center/lookup?search=104.149.133.54#email-history

Sometimes I think "is my FreeBSD exploited and being used to send spam",
but then I also see Linux relays on other ISPs also on the blocklists.

Yes, I am aware Tor exit relays will land on blacklists. But getting
complaints from spam is new, especially when my relays are blocking
SMTP.

I am worried I would have to find a new host if they continue
complaining. Darn, Psychz has been one of the more reliable exit hosts
(on-and-off) for many years, although they are more vigilant on abuse
than say BuyVM.

BuyVM is similarly priced (although my Psychz is an special offer) and
solid but has too many exits. OVH and TerraHost only allow exits on much
more expensive dedicated servers. Prgmr and HostMaze allow exits but has
so-so peering.

I just hope Psychz doesn't continue to complain.

-Neel