[tor-relays] Debian is not allowing tor to update despite it being listed as a trusted respritory

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Tue May 3 10:14:40 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 7:31:46 AM CEST Keifer Bly wrote:

> So I am running a tor relay on Debian, but no matter what when updating tor
> there is an “updating from such a respiritpry can’t be done securely and is
> therefore disabled by default”. Here is the log

In addition to the outdated certificates, you get Tor for Ubuntu and not
Debian:

> Get:1 http://security.debian.org buster/updates InRelease [65.4 kB]
>
> Hit:2 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease
>
> Get:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates InRelease [51.9 kB]
>
> Get:4 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports InRelease [46.7 kB]
>
> Ign:5 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease
>
> Hit:6 http://ftpde.debian.org/debian stretch Release
I would delete the outdated Debian stretch archives.

> Ign:7 http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org trusty InRelease
>
> Ign:8 http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org trusty Release

Trusty? Why are you using Tor for Ubuntu? For Debian Buster you should also
use the buster archive:

deb https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org buster main

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!