[tor-relays] Odd network activity

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri Mar 4 07:26:26 UTC 2022

Eldalië via tor-relays:
> Hello there.
>
>> I see on every exit node I check on the metrics page, a massive bump
>> in bandwidth used without a change in exit probability.
>
> I just checked the metrics page for the relay I operate
> (791E637A38C715336290E8AC0EB6C99BD02A5F0E) and I noticed a bump similar
> to the one from FDAA4F76F778215F02B0B02DCE8E8504179BCDC6. However, my
> relay is not and has never been an exit relay. Also, it looks like the
> data changed retroactively: I usually check the metrics about once a
> day and I'm sure I would have noticed the peak of 26/02 the day after -
> I mean, it is a more than x3 increment from the day before (that also
> had the highest value ever until then).
> Should I worry about that? And should I report my own relay to
> the bad-relays mailing list?

No, it's fine. I am not sure yet what the problem is but I suspect it's
a bug in one of our recent code changes. See:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/network-health/metrics/onionoo/-/issues/40022#note_2783524

for more details. We've reverted that change for now and things should
normalize again assuming the traffic increase you see is indeed related
to it.

Georg