[tor-relays] How to reduce tor CPU load on a single bridge?

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Fri Mar 4 01:59:04 UTC 2022

On Thu, Mar 03, 2022 at 08:13:34PM +0000, Gary C. New wrote:
> Has Tor Metrics implemented your RFC related to Written Bytes per Second and
> Read Bytes per Second on Onionoo?
>
> As of the 27th of February, I've noticed a change in reporting that accurately
> reflects the aggregate of my Tor Relay Nodes opposed to the previously reported
> Single Tor Node. Are you seeing a similar change for snowflake.torproject.org?

You're right. I see a change since 2022-02-27, but in the case of the
snowflake bridge the numbers look wrong, about 8× too high. I posted an
update on the issue. Thanks for noticing.

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/network-health/metrics/onionoo/-/issues/40022#note_2783524

> Additionally, other than the hourly stacktrace errors in the syslog, the
> secure_onion_key workaround seems to be working well without any ill
> side-effects. I've been able to operate with the same secure_onion_key for
> close to 5 weeks, now. Have you run into any issues?

Yes, it's still working well here.