[tor-relays] Your opinion about tor-node.org

Martin Gebhardt martin at gebhardt.im
Thu Mar 3 22:57:54 UTC 2022

On 3/3/22 22:48, lists at for-privacy.net wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 3. März 2022 16:40:42 CET Martin Gebhardt wrote:
>
>> I don't understand the analogy in his phrase. I'm not a native English
>> speaker.
> Yes, I understand German better too.
> I took a closer look at the site. Pretty hidden on council.re -> Projects:
[..]
> They don't collect donations from average users, but from DNM sysadmins.
> OK, generally quite good to encourage some DNM admins to fund or operate Tor
> relays. DNM is of course not good advertising for the Tor Project and Relay
> operators ;-) It's hard enough to find ISP's for Tor exit relays as it is.

I haven't even looked at it that far. But they also refer to "Dread".
Seems to be a DNM scene board.
There they ask for donations, but also only very discreetly and at the
end of an announcement.

Anyway, I don't think that's so good. Especially because of the
representative effect. If some reporter or journalist wants to bitch
about Tor again, then such a project will serve as a good example to
create a negative narrative.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

> Because of the BTC & XMR donation addresses:
> Monero blockchain obfuscate transactions to achieve anonymity.
> Serious projects list the view key for the monero donation address.

Okay, I can't do anything with that. I know too little about Monero.

But thank you for sharing about it. In any case, I'm not alone with my
basic criticism.

It would be great if the operator would somehow speak up. My point is
not to criticize the project, but to learn more about the background.
As some of you might have noticed, I've been doing intensive research on
tor for half a year now and will publish a paper about it in one or two
years. Something like this fits in there as well. Even if I personally
don't like it.

--
Martin