[tor-relays] Your opinion about tor-node.org

Martin Gebhardt martin at gebhardt.im
Thu Mar 3 15:40:42 UTC 2022

Hi Marco,

On 3/2/22 22:21, lists at for-privacy.net wrote:
> On Mittwoh, 2. März 2022 00:57:26 CET Martin Gebhardt wrote:
[..]
> I can't find any relays operated by them. Does anyone know which? Looks like a
> ploy to me to find some dumbasses to fund Alphabay Market, Archetyp Market and
> Abacus Market's own hidden services. ;-) They should actually make enough
> money.

I don't understand the analogy in his phrase. I'm not a native English
speaker.
But possibly me at theintern.pw wanted to make himself noticed that he is
responsible?
And if the operator is me at theintern.pw, then the $5 he currently spends
on his relay should be a small piece of what he earns.

But like you said, then he's just looking for people to fund something
else, not real existing relays.

If so, then that's part of the problem I have. No name, only a relay
what you find in connection with his email address and generally just no
transparency and no communication.

[..]
>> But what bothers me is the transparency. I also believe that using Tor
>> is an act of anonymity. But running Tor infrastructure is an act of
>> transparency. I am very interested in knowing who is working on our
>> project.
> I completely agree.
Another point.. What critics might like is the clear reference to
illegal trading platforms in connection with the operation of Tor
infrastructure.

We all know too well how much illegal activity is conducted via our
infrastructure. Hacking, Spam, Marketplaces.. But we also know that
there is far more legal use. It is unclear to me why such a
"foundation", which has no name, is used to provide arguments to critics.

I know this is a very political discussion and shaped by my personal
views. I can also understand if no one wants to have such a discussion.

I would like to hear some more opinions. I hope one or the other still
comes to word. It can also be that I think wrong and it is quite okay.

--
Martin