[tor-relays] Identifying a relay

Felix zwiebel at quantentunnel.de
Thu Jun 16 07:10:09 UTC 2022

Hi Eddie

> but the vendor mis-identified our relay as an exit, hence
> blocking it
The vendor or a service provider for its inbound protection might think:
Hey, this relay claims to be a non-exit but why do we receive a
connection from a non-exit? Bottom line they don't distinguish between
an IP and the relay service. If they put both together the clonclusion
makes sense in their wrong (?) perspective. It's a little paranoid I
would say.

> After changing the IP, the new IP was also blocked in less
> than 24 hours.  My feeling is that the vendor is now just
> using the full list of tor nodes and indiscriminately
> blocking everything
Yup, agree

Do you have IPv6 available for your office traffic? While you use IP4
for the relay. If you route email and browser along IPv6 you could
resolve the issue.

All the best!

--
Cheers Felix