[tor-relays] [New Initiative] Tor Weather: Improving the Tor Weather

Sarthik Gupta sarthikg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 19:30:34 UTC 2022

Hey, thanks for going through the proposal.

So, prior to writing the proposal for the Tor-Weather, I referred
to multiple sources of which https://github.com/thingless/torweather was
one. Some parts of the code can be reused, though the implementation
differs by a great extent.

It’s nice to know that someone else is also working on a similar project.
Would definitely love to interact with nusenu and explore his vision for
the project. In case the visions align, it would be great to have a
co-contributor.

In terms of the notifications, we considered the issues that could be
caused by frequent unreliable notifications, and that’s why we’ll be
offering an option to customize each notification individually. For
instance, relay operators can customize the “Losing a flag” notification to
only get triggered if the relay has lost a flag for a minimum of 24hrs.
Take note that this could be any number of hours. I think that should solve
the issue.

Prior to sending the previous email, I did try to enable comments on the
GitLab wiki, but it seemed a bit complicated to enable. Will be exploring
other ways to get this done & will send a follow-up email for that.

Finally, I agree the man-pages listed that the email may be obscure & not
should be. Honestly, I didn’t pay attention to that level of detail while
writing the proposal, have made the corrections, and will take a look
beforehand from the next time.

Thanks & Regards,
Sarthik Gupta