[tor-relays] How to reduce tor CPU load on a single bridge?

Gary C. New garycnew at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 21:06:42 UTC 2022

On Sunday, January 30, 2022, 2:26:08 AM PST, Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.net> wrote:

 On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 19:58:49 -0700
David Fifield <david at bamsoftware.com> wrote:

>> But a slight variation does work: make secret_onion_key.old and secret_onion_key_ntor.old *directories*, so that tor_rename cannot rename a file over them. It does result in an hourly `BUG` stack trace, but otherwise it seems effective.

>> I did a test with two tor instances. The rot1 instance had the directory hack to prevent onion key rotation. The rot2 had nothing to prevent onion key rotation.

> I did not follow the thread closely, but if you want a file or directory
contents unchangeable, and not allowed to rename/delete even by root, there's
the "immutable" attribute (chattr +i).

I like the immutable attribute approach. It can be applied to the original secret_onion_key and secret_onion_key_ntor files.
Appreciate the input.
Respectfully,

Gary—
This Message Originated by the Sun.
iBigBlue 63W Solar Array (~12 Hour Charge)
+ 2 x Charmast 26800mAh Power Banks
= iPhone XS Max 512GB (~2 Weeks Charged)