[tor-relays] Terraform to deploy Tor Relays

Andrew Smith me at andrewmichaelsmith.com
Sun Jan 16 11:21:47 UTC 2022

Hi

I wanted to share a project that I've been working on which allows
deploying of Tor relays through terraform.

The code and documentation is here:
https://github.com/andrewmichaelsmith/terrator

The focus is on running on cloud hosting providers, currently supported
cloud services are digitalocean, vultr and heztner.  It works - I'm using
it to run some tor relays right now. There are some limitations (documented
on github) though and it is still very much a work in progress.

As a bit of background, after reading the call to deploy more bridges
<https://blog.torproject.org/tor-censorship-in-russia/> I got thinking how
useful it could be to deploy a number of bridges by simply editing a config
file and pushing 'go'. After a bit of tinerking - torraform
<https://github.com/andrewmichaelsmith/terrator> was born.

Personally I have this hooked up to Github and Terraform Cloud (both free),
meaning I can simply edit 1 file in a git repo to create new relays.

Keen to hear feedback or questions!

Thanks

--
Andy Smith