[tor-relays] New non-exit relay - DirPort question

Richard Menedetter ricsi at gmx.at
Sun Jan 16 08:34:24 UTC 2022

Hi

> > I have DirPort 9030 in my config.
> > It is shown in nyx and the tor process listens there.
> > But the relay search page says:
> > Dir Address    none
> Yep! This is fine and normal, but I agree it is a surprise.
>
> I just opened a ticket in the relay-search component to help future
> relay operators understand why it ends up as a 0:
> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/network-health/metrics/relay-search/-/issues/40013

Thanx fot the quick explanation!
I have set it back to DirPort 0.

One comment, would it not make more sense to give an error when trying to set DirPort != 0?
When configured the tor process will open that (now useless??) port and allow connections to it.
If it is unused why not simply give an error telling that DirPort is depracted and the config directive was ignored?

CU, Ricsi