[tor-relays] New non-exit relay - DirPort question

Richard Menedetter ricsi at gmx.at
Sat Jan 15 12:40:27 UTC 2022

Hi all

I installed a non-exit relay 5 days ago.
Works actually quit nicely.
I was awarded the stable flag.
(Also had briefly the HSDir flag, but lost it after a restart. Too early for the Guard flag.)
So I think everything looks good.

I have DirPort 9030 in my config.
It is shown in nyx and the tor process listens there.
But the relay search page says:
Dir Address    none

It looks like this on my server:
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9030            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9001            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 :::9001                 :::*                    LISTEN

Why is it not shown and used by TOR?
And what is directory for anyways?
Why is it not listening und using IPv6 additionally to IPv4?
Did I need to configure something additionally to get it running?
Some TOR nodes show a port there.

Anything to consider for new relay operators?
I have limited the network traffic to 15 MB/s, so 240 MBit/s (bidirectional) so I should be well below my allowance.

CU, Ricsi