[tor-relays] Tor installation from Source

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Thu Feb 10 12:54:59 UTC 2022

On Thursday, February 10, 2022 9:19:03 AM CET Dan via tor-relays wrote:

> My relay is running on Raspberry OS so the updates are a little late for
> some packages, so my relay is running on obsolote version 0.3.5.15, I
> installed Tor from source and tor --version gives me
> Tor version 0.4.6.10.
>
> Tor is running on Linux with Libevent 2.1.8-stable, OpenSSL 1.1.1d, Zlib
> 1.2.11, Liblzma N/A, Libzstd N/A and Glibc 2.28 as libc.
>
> Tor compiled with GCC version 8.3.0but tor at default.service is still running
> on 0.3.5.15 (I have restarted the service multiple times)...

If you previously installed tor with your package management system, then you
now have 2x tor, once default '/usr/bin/tor' and once compiled yourself '/usr/
local/bin/tor' or somewhere.
Did you uninstall the 'default' (installed with apt) tor daemon first?

Remove removes the application, but leaves the system configuration files, purge
also deletes system configuration files and your tor keys!
apt remove tor
apt purge tor

Reminder, don't forget the autostart scripts after compiling.

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!