[tor-relays] TorWeather replacement features

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Thu Feb 10 07:13:34 UTC 2022

nusenu:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on a TorWeather replacement (mainly using a
> byproduct of another project)
> that should be helpful for relay operators to get notifications about
> their relay downtimes
> and other issues.
> I believe such a service will contribute to a more healthy tor network
> and better informed operators leading to less relays running on
> old vulnerable and end-of-life tor versions.

Right. That's a good idea. We have been proposing a Tor Weather
replacement for a number of times now as a Google Summer of Code project
but alas it did not get picked up and we don't have the time to rewrite
it ourselves.

However, I'd suggest that we as the Tor Project would host such a Tor
Weather instance powered by your code as I think many more relay
operators would trust such a service if it were hosted by us and thus
the effect on the health of the network would be vastly superior.

There is a ticket open in our bug tracker[1] you filed a while back
where we could coordinate.

Let us know what you think, but the overall idea sounds exciting.

Georg

[1] https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/network-health/team/-/issues/107