[tor-relays] snowflake vs bridges (vs node)

Fran fatal at mailbox.org
Fri Feb 4 14:15:52 UTC 2022

Hej Eldalië,

thanks for your answer.

Tor project runs campaigns for running more bridges [1-3] because there
was/is (?) a shortage and/or countries changed their censorship policy
(e. g. Russia). So I'd say the statement in the FAQ is a little bit to
simple. At different times a shortage of one or the other node might
occur. :)

I think the answer might also depend on what kind of servers you are
able to run. E. g. a server in a cloud/with a hoster where you can spin
instances up/down on a regular basis (weekly/monthly?) and change the IP
in this process, might be good for bridges in case they got blocked by a
censor (no idea on how long a usual bridge is usable before it gets
blocked in parts of the world). If you are able to run the node for many
years with the same IP addressing, maybe a non-bridge would be better,
so the node might become a fallback-authority node one day.

If you don't use HiddenServiceSingleHopMode for you onion services, six
tor nodes are in between the visitor and the server which results in a
lot of bandwidth usage in the tor network. So some non-exits might also
be handy in case onion service usage picks up.

If you take a look at
https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth-flags.html it seems to me like
there is much more advertised bandwidth than consumed bandwidth for all
flags. So maybe more bridges is the answer?

But I really cannot tell because I don't have enough insights and so I
just went with bridges (time to be blocked for a usual bridge would be
really interesting to know if/when I should convert the bridges to
regular nodes or change IP addressing).

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Fran

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/run-tor-bridges-defend-open-internet/