[tor-relays] Setting a relay as an HSDirectory?

code9n at pm.me code9n at pm.me
Sat Dec 17 19:47:33 UTC 2022

Hi all,

Thanks for the last answers, it's all running nicely now.

Now I want to set the relay to act as a Hidden Services Directory as well and reading the torrc file I'm not sure how to do it.

Do I just uncomment the lines 10 and 11 of the extract below? Or just line 10? Or lines 10, 11, 13,14 and 15? Or just some combination of them?

1 ############### This section is just for location-hidden services ###
2
3 ## Once you have configured a hidden service, you can look at the
4 ## contents of the file ".../hidden_service/hostname" for the address
5 ## to tell people.
6 ##
7 ## HiddenServicePort x y:z says to redirect requests on port x to the
8 ## address y:z.
9
10 #HiddenServiceDir /var/lib/tor/hidden_service/
11 #HiddenServicePort 80 127.0.0.1:80
12
13 #HiddenServiceDir /var/lib/tor/other_hidden_service/
14 #HiddenServicePort 80 127.0.0.1:8015 #HiddenServicePort 22 127.0.0.1:22

I have uncommented line 10 as, looking at other relays in relay search, relays that have the HSDir flag (mostly) do not seem to have any DirPorts open but so far my relay does not have the HSDir flag itself. Although the torrc file hasn't been reset for very long, yet.

Thanks for any advice,

Pete