[tor-relays] inet_csk_bind_conflict

Anders Trier Olesen anders.trier.olesen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 10:06:48 UTC 2022

Also see this patch, which introduces net.ipv4.ip_autobind_reuse:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?id=4b01a9674231a97553a55456d883f584e948a78d

Enabling net.ipv4.ip_autobind_reuse allows the kernel to bind SO_REUSEADDR
enabled sockets (which I think they are in tor) to the same <addr, port>
only when all ephemeral ports are exhausted. (So it should fix the
"resource exhausted" bugs, but we'll still spend way too much time in the
kernel looking for free ports, before giving up and checking if
net.ipv4.ip_autobind_reuse is toggled)

It is only safe to use when you know that you'll not have tons of
connections to the same <dstip:dstport> (so not safe to use in the haproxy
setup), which is why it "should only be set by experts", and they suggest
using IP_BIND_ADDRESS_NO_PORT instead:
> ip_autobind_reuse - BOOLEAN
>  By default, bind() does not select the ports automatically even if
>  the new socket and all sockets bound to the port have SO_REUSEADDR.
>  ip_autobind_reuse allows bind() to reuse the port and this is useful
>  when you use bind()+connect(), but may break some applications.
>  The preferred solution is to use IP_BIND_ADDRESS_NO_PORT and this
>  option (i.e ip_autobind_reuse) should only be set by experts.
>  Default: 0

I've enabled `sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_autobind_reuse=1` on the dotsrc exits
for now, while we wait for IP_BIND_ADDRESS_NO_PORT.

- Anders